Wild Rice and Sage Stuffed Squash
In celebration of my mom's birthday, I made this fancy stuffed squash. Ok, it's not that fancy, but it is a little time-consuming, but really lets the person you're making it for know you care. The time spent cooking it is well worth it. In all honesty, the reason I made this was not only just to give my mom a yummy, healthy birthday dinner, but also to try out a new recipe for Thanksgiving. Let's hear it for ulterior motives.
Ingredients for the best stuffed squash you can make:
* 2 medium-size acorn squashes, cut in half lengthwise and seeds and fibers scooped out. Pierce the outer skin once or twice with a knife to let steam escape. before cutting your squashes, make sure to wash the outside with warm soap and water.
* 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
* 1 1/2 cups water or stock
* 3 slices whole grain bread, toasted and buzzed in the food processor
* 1 generous teaspoon ground sage
* a couple pinches dried rosemary, crumbled
* a couple pinches dried marjoram
* 2 celery ribs, cut into small pieces
* 4 medium-size mushrooms, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon Earth Balance margarine or olive oil
* handful toasted pecans, chopped
* small handful dried cranberries
* black pepper, to taste
* 1 or 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
Start by combining the wild rice and the water or stock in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour. While the rice is cooking, put the squashes cut side- down on a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 35-40 minutes, just until they are tender. Do not over cook the squash, as it needs to hold its shape. Meanwhile, saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and celery in the margarine for a couple minutes. Combine this cooked onion mixture with the breadcrumbs, pecans, black pepper, aminos and herbs and stir. When the rice is done, stir it into the breadcrumb mixture as well. Fill the cooked squashes with the stuffing, cover with some foil to hold in the moisture, and bake another 10-15 minutes, until heated through.