Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Riblets!

I was shopping at Target, of all places, and while browsing the food section (yes, Target has a food section) I came across Riblets! I just had to get them. On a side-note, I noticed that Target is surprisingly vegan-friendly. I saw all kinds of things that I would normally buy at the natural foods store (Amy's pizza, Odwalla bars, Cliff bars, soymilk, veggie burgers, etc).

Anyway, I was a little cautious with the first bite. I've had some pretty gross faux-meat products is all the years being vegetarian and vegan, and was worried Riblets would be yet another thing on that list. Let me tell you, Riblets are officially my favorite! They come slathered in a ton of sweet and tangy barbecue sauce and have a scary-similar texture and taste as "real" ribs.

I don't feel I need to "justify" my choice of eating fake meat (because I feel it is a controversial subject among vegans/vegetarians), but I want to make one thing clear: I think a lot of omnis mistakenly assume all vegans/vegetarians miss meat terribly and consume "fake" meat for the purpose of satisfying a craving for the real thing. This is not the case. When I was younger, my dad used to cook ribs on Sundays in the summer and we'd eat it with sweet corn and mashed potatoes. I have a lot of good memories of my family that are tied along with this food, and having something very similar yet without the cruelty is nice because it brings back memories. I also want to point out that meat itself is not what appeals to people, it is the emotional ties we have to it, as well as whatever cooking method makes it taste good. Very few people would kill an animal with their bare hands and eat the flesh raw.

Anyway, now that I'm done grossing you out...as much as I would have loved some sweet corn and mashed potatoes like my dad used to make, we didn't have any, so along with my riblets, I cooked up some Greens With Envy from Trader Joes (spinach, broccoli, green beans, asparagus and edamame) and some pre-packaged sundried tomato-flavored roasted potatoes.

My sister is also vegetarian and we both agreed that Riblets taste just like dad used to make. Awww... That's my Hallmark Moment for ya'll.

9 Comments:

Blogger jin said...

Oh...isn't that funny!
I too love those very same riblets because my Mom used to make ribs many many years ago. They do remind me of hers.

My husband & I have that discussion all the time & as far as we're concerned if it is vegan & it tastes that good who cares what it is fashioned after? I mean, the riblets & veggie burgers we eat certainly do not taste like meat to us or we wouldn't eat them...they just taste good and are healthy to boot!

Nice post. :-)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thanks Gin! I couldn't agree more.

7:47 AM  
Blogger JENNA said...

i bought riblets awhile ago and i'm sad to say they are still in my freezer. i'm very cautious of faux-meat products because of weird experiences. your post is making me more open to trying them. they look so good.

JENNA

8:18 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Jenna--definitely try them! They are really good; you will like them, I'm sure.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't tried those riblets before either but they look great. I have to say I agree with your position on faux meat although I know a lot of veg*ns do not agree. I think the biggest thing faux meats do are help transition new veg*ns and without them most newbies would feel lost and uncomfortable with their new diet. That sounds kind of crazy but I guess it's easier to start with what you know and gradually add it other new foods. Enough babling. Great blog! I'm so glad Bazu introduced me to you. I'm going to add you to my bloglines right now.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thank you Vivacious Vegan! I love your blog as well!

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could find a faux-meat that tasted like meat, I would actually be happy. Not that I want it to taste like "meat" or anything else really- just to taste like the food I've loved all my life. I've been non-veg for a million years, and veg for about 4 months. I'm not instantly going to fall in love with tofu squares. The only faux that I've tried that was even barely tolerable was the veggie burger at Burger King, and I still felt ick after that. I'm not sure why. I think it was the concept of eating fast food. It's such a meaty enviroment. Blah.
Absolutely every faux-meat I've tried at home I've immediately spit into the garbage can and tossed the remainder away. It's getting expensive, and I'm pretty much completely turned off. Admittedly I've only tried Yves just because that's what the grocery store I shop at stocks.
Oh, I love fake bacon bits! I've always eaten them though.
I would love to come across the riblets they do look so good. BUT I still don't have much faith that they will be. :)

5:08 AM  
Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

I could not agree with you more on the subject of fake meat alternatives. I just made a similar statement about soy ice cream recently. I am lactose intolerant and eat a lot of vegan products because they are "safe". It is more of a feeling you get from eating something that is familiar even if it is not the same. I also love the vegan riblets and I hate ribs. Go figure!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i try them and love them, sadly they are not more at my town, i miss them.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home