Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Friday, April 20, 2007

Lime-Cilantro Rice Bowl

If you've ever been to Qudoba (the Subway of Mexican restaurants) you've probably had the vegetarian burrito. I LOVE the lime-cilantro rice they put in the burritos, so when today I started craving it, I knew I had to make my own. It tasted exactly the same! I was so happy. And it couldn't be easier.
Lime-Cilantro Rice
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
* 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed well
* 2 cups water
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
* 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
Bring the water to a boil in a sauce pan, then add the rice and salt. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the rice in tender. Fluff with a fork and add in the lime juice and cilantro.

I topped this delicious and flavorful rice with My Favorite Black Beans
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
* 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, undrained
* Cayenne pepper, to taste
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 1/2 tablespoons liquid aminos
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 1 bay leaf
Combine all the ingredients in a saute pan and bring to a bubble, stirring well. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic and bay leaf before serving.

As if this isn't absolutely fantastic as it is, there was some leftover roasted corn salsa in the fridge that my mom made. Here are the basic components: red onion, sauteed/roasted corn, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper or hot sauce, lime juice and cilantro. I piled this on top of the beans for a filling and delicious dinner. You could also add some chopped fresh tomato and avocado/guacamole to the bowl.

This meal is very low in fat, high in fiber (and flavor!), with protein, iron and calcium. It also makes a great quick dinner. Yumm!

4 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

i've GOT to try this!! i'm not a cilantro fan at all but i like all the rest of the ingredients! Haven't heard of this place, this Qudoba... wonder if we don't get that in SoCal or if i've just missed it!?

9:52 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

I'm not sure of the spelling (it may be "Qdoba"?) I think if we have it here in Wisconsin, you probably have it in California! Yes, the rice would be just as good without the cilantro.

10:36 AM  
Blogger mommamu said...

thank you thank you thank you
I have been craving that rice like crazy!!!

Also-I wanted to ask you. how do you like Clayton College? I am thinking of applying...

PS It is Qdoba

8:37 PM  
Blogger lewise85 said...

Thank you so much, I was craving Qdoba Cilantro Rice today. I tried making it with lemon that is what I thought was in it but didn't get the right taste. Now I can make it right for me and my girls! Thanks again!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home