Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Monday, April 02, 2007

Two Cakes: One Raw and One Not



(In case you're wondering what the heck these pictures have to do with cake, read below--hint: they have nothing to do with cake!)
On Saturday, my sister and her boyfriend came over around dinner time. Her bf, who won't eat veggies (yeah, I know), and therefore didn't want any of the chili I made ate garlic bread and this amazing chocolate cake I made. First, the garlic bread is really easy: just take some Earth Balance or other non-hydrogenated vegan margarine and mix it with dried oregano, basil, thyme and garlic powder. Spread it on both sides of your whole grain bread and pop in in the oven at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Yumm!

For the chocolate cake, I followed the recipe here. The orange juice gave a hint of orange flavor which went nicely with the chocolate, but next time I think I'll use water or soymilk instead. I also added a pinch of salt, which wasn't listed in the ingredients. For the super-creamy frosting, I put one box of silken tofu in the food processor along with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and blended until smooth, then I melted 1 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave on 80% power until melted. Stir the two together until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use. My sister ate two pieces of this cake and her bf raved about it too. Little does he know he ate tofu!

Late last week, I was craving carrot cake. I wanted to make it healthy as well as delicious, so I concocted a raw carrot cake. It was fantastic! It has just the right amount of sweetness and really makes a great breakfast. Here's the recipe:
* 1 cup rolled oats
* 2 small carrots, grated or chopped small
* 1/2 cup soaked almonds
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* pinch salt
* juice from 1 orange
* 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
* 5-6 pitted dates
* 1/3 cup raisins
Put the oats in the food processor and grind until they resemble flour. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the raisins and pulse until the mixture becomes sticky and holds together. Stir in the raisins. Line a small bowl with plastic wrap and transfer the carrot cake mixture into the bowl, pressing the cake firmly and evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 min.
To make the frosting:
* 1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 1.5 hours
* 3 dates soaked (or 3-4 tablespoon agave)
* 2 teaspoons agave
* 2-4 tablespoons water
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend until smooth. Add just enough water to help the blending process; you want a thick frosting, not a runny one. Refrigerate until ready to use.

When ready to serve, gently un-mold the cake and remove the plastic. Spread the frosting evenly. Garnish with orange zest, edible flowers, or chopped nuts, if you want. Cut into wedges. Makes about 4 large servings.

On an unrelated side-note: For the past 2 years, I have been making super-cute tote bags and selling them. When I saw Jennifer Schmoo over at Vegan Lunch Box selling her wares, it got me thinking. So, anyone who is interested in buying a bag hand-made by yours truly can contact me via the comments section. Here is the run-down of my product:

* I use mostly recycled fabrics

* All my bags are durable, with high-quality construction

* All my bags are vegan, of course

* They make great gifts

* Original, one-of-a-kind designs

* Fairly priced: $20-$25

If I get enough interest, I will set up a pay-pal and post pictures of bags for sale. I may even include a goodie-bag (pins, buttons, postcards, etc.) with each order. To give an idea of what my designs look like, see the images above of past bags I've made.



4 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Thanks for the recipe for the Raw Carrot Cake. I am not eating enough raw so this is a great way yo do it :)

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love your site. Thank you for all the recipes. I sometimes get tired of looking at wonderful vegan meals that people put together and have no recipes to go with it. Thank you so much Roxy
ps how is school?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Sheree' said...

I just printed the carrot cake recipe. Sounds wonderful. I am so interested in a bag. Thank you so much for offering. You can email me at Shereeb@cox.net if you like.

7:23 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Good stuff.

How can anyone not like veggies?!

Altho i'd prefer garlic bread to pretty much anything, too. And chocolate cake as well..

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home