Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Raw Ice Cream

Ok, Ok, I know winter is not the best time to be making ice cream, but I got the idea for this raw cashew ice cream and just had to try it. I did not have much expectation one way or the other for the outcome of this ice cream because #1, I have only an immersion blender and not a high-speed blender and #2, I do not have an ice cream machine. I expected the cashews to remain slightly chunky and I also anticipated to have an "ice-crystal" ice cream full of ice shards, instead of a super creamy consistancy.

Besides the texture, the flavor was very good. I did not measure anything exactly, so this recipe is an estimate as far as amounts go. Also, I very much recommend you use a regular blender for this and if you have an ice cream machine, use it!

Ingredients:
* 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
* 5 pitted dates, soaked overnight
* about 1 cup soak water
* 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
* 1 small ripe banana
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean

Blend everything in a blender until very smooth. Freeze in the freezer, stirring every 30 minutes or so, or prepare in your ice cream maker.

Note: You can add fruit or nuts to this ice cream (like cherries, pecans, almonds etc.)--just stir them in before you freeze it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home