Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

3-Bean Chili

This may sound odd, but I only recently discovered canned lentils. Of course, I knew of canned lentils, but always opted to cook my own. What a world of difference exists between these two methods of using this legume! I found the canned lentils to be tender and creamy, while I was used to the slighly crunchy "uncooked" flavor of my cooked lentils. So, lately, I have been using canned lentils in many dishes, including this wonderful chili recipe. Rutiger and I very much enjoyed this spicy, warming dish with baked sweet potato fries. Corn bread, tortilla chips, or your favorite muffin (sweet or savory) are equally yummy sides.

Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 large bell pepper (any color), chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 2 teaspoons good chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* black pepper, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 (28 oz) can chunky tomato sauce
* 1 (15 oz) can lentils, do not drain
* 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, do not drain
* 1 (15 oz) can black beans, do not drain
* 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, oregano and spices. Saute until the onion is soft. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered, until the chili is thickened, stirring every few minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger SNK said...

I ate 2 or 3 helpings.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home