Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"More Than Meets The Eye" Marinara Sauce

This sauce is unbelievable! I invented this when, recently, I was reading over the label of my favorite brand of maranara sauce and found sugar as an ingredient! So, to cut out that added sugar, I made sure to include naturally sweet carrots in my homemade sauce. Kale adds extra nutrients and completely blends into the sauce. You can make a double batch so you have yummy pasta sauce anytime!
Ingredients:
* 1 (28 oz) can chunky tomato sauce
* 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
* 2 medium-size carrots, chopped small
* 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon each: dried basil and oregano
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups kale, chopped small (remove stems)
* 2 cups water

In a large sauce pan, saute the carrot, bay leaf, garlic, salt and herbs in the olive oil. Stir in the tomato paste followed by the tomato sauce, water and kale. Simmer the sauce until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, then puree the sauce in a blender until the kale is finely chopped. You can also use an immersion blender for this.

1 Comments:

Blogger SNK said...

Mmmm...sounds good.
I wonder where I'll be getting my sugar
that I'm missing out on though?
Email me if you can think of any healthy
substitutes. ;)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home