Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Two Apple Recipes, CSA, and a Word About Flax

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. I'm back to share two recipes I've invented over the holiday. But before I get into that, I wanted to spread the word about CSA or, Community Supported Agriculture. My mom and I are joining a CSA after a spokesman came to her place of work and held a lecture on it. I'm so excited! To join, you pay a fee straight away ($200-$300, usually) to the participating CSA farm of your chosing and from May to October you recieve weekly bounty of fresh, organic fruits, herbs and veggies. How cool is that?

Apple Cranberry Crumble
Ingredients for the topping:
* 1 cup whole grain flour
* 1/2 cup walnuts
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/3 cup sucanat
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/4 cup margarine (Earth Balance is best), divided into small chunks
Ingredients for the filling:
* 2/3 cup dried cranberries, soaked in water 30 minutes or overnight
* 4-5 apples, cored and sliced (do not peel!)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 cup sucanat
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Begin by putting all the filling ingredients EXCEPT the margarine in a food processor. Buzz until the walnuts are chopped. Add in the margarine chunks and buzz again briefly until the topping is slightly crumbly. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the filling ingredients and toss to combine, then lay this mixture out evenly in a baking dish. Pour the topping mixture on the apples and spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Keep an eye out and make sure the topping doesn't burn.

Apple-Flax Breakfast Delight
This recipe was concieved the other day when I was thinking of new ways to eat the oh-so nutritious Flax Seed. It is important to not heat these tender little guys--the omega-3 fats will be destroyed will oxidize and cause free-radical damage in your body.
Ingredients:
* 1 apple, cored and sliced (do not peel)
* pinch of cinnamon
* 1 heaping tablespoon ground flax seeds
* raisins
Place the apple in a food processor and buzz for just a few seconds until the apple is finely chopped. Transfer the apple to a serving bowl and toss with the rest of the ingredients. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger aTxVegn said...

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog and I love it! The apple recipes look super. I'm also interested in the kale and white bean recipe you posted as I just bought a beautiful huge bunch of red russian kale at my farmers market.

I also noticed your cinnamon strips recipe. We used to put butter, cinnamon, and sugar in tortillas and roll them up for snacks when I was a kid and I also made them for my son. I hadn't thought about them in years!

I'll check back soon!

- Diann

8:49 PM  
Blogger aTxVegn said...

I just realized your apple breakfast recipe is exactly what I make and put into my oatmeal!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home