Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 21, 2006

My Favorite Sammich

Moby and Kelly might think the Pan Bagna is the ultimate sandwich, but my grilled artichoke- spread sandwich is the best-- in my eyes, at least. So there I was, one day, watching the Food Network when all of a sudden, I got a mean craving for a grilled cheese sandwich. Being the creative, immaginative girl that I am, I invented this artichoke spread, slathered it on some multi-grain bread, grilled it, and The Best Sandwich That Ever Was, was born. Here's how you can experience sandwich bliss:
Ingredients for the spread:
* one 12 OZ block firm tofu (do not use silken), patted dry and cut into rough cubes
* one 7.5 OZ jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained of most of the liquid
* 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 small garlic clove
* 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
* Salt, to taste
In a food processor, combine the artichoke hearts, garlic, pine nuts, and lemon juice and buzz until smooth. Add in the tofu cubes and olive oil and process again until smooth and creamy. If you have time and can control yourself, let this spread chill in the fridge for at least and hour, to let the flavors absorb into the tofu. Once this has happened, spread a little Earth Balance margarine on one side of two slices of sourdough bread, then on the other side, spread on your artichoke mixture. You can also add slices of tomato, greens, roasted red pepper, or any other veggie on top of the artichoke spread, if you want. Finally, grill the sandwich in a pan over medium flame until golden brown. I like to press the sandwich down with a saucepan lid (like a panini) while it is cooking.

4 Comments:

Blogger jin said...

OOOOOOH!
I am sending you a 'Thank You' in advance from my husband.
I just happen to have ALL these ingredients (plus a panini machine!)& this is what he's getting for dinner!
YAY!!!

I SO love your recipes.

3:40 PM  
Blogger jin said...

Update!!!

LOVED the 'Sammiches'! :-)
10x better than grilled cheese or those 'fake cheeses'.

My husband & my vegetarian doggie loved them too (and they're both VERY picky!).

1:08 AM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Wow! I'm so glad you, your hubby and doggie liked them so much! Thank you so much for the feedback!

5:02 PM  
Blogger SNK said...

I've had the spread.
It's the bomb. ***!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home