Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Vegetable Garbanzo Curry

On chilly autumn days, Rutiger and I crave warm, rich, hearty vegetable curry. Turmeric, a component of the curry powder is a powerful anti-cancer herb, and tastes heavenly to boot. You can add any veggies you want (I usually add sweet potato but was out this time) in addition to tofu or tempeh if you so desire. This recipe makes about 4-5 good servings, so scale it down if you are cooking for one, unless you want lots of leftovers. Enjoy!
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 1/2-2 teaspoons curry powder
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* several pinches cayenne pepper
* 1-15 oz can coconut milk
* 1 small head cauliflower, cut into large florettes
* 2 large carrots, scrubbed and cut into moons
* 1 medium sweet potato, cut into bite-size chunks
* handful of green beans, fresh or frozen
* 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
* Liquid aminos or salt, to taste
* Cooked brown or Basmati rice, optional
Begin by cooking the garlic in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat just for about 30 seconds. Add in the spices and stir around. Next, add the cauliflower, potato, and carrots and stir to coat the veggies in the wonderful spices. Pour in the coconut milk and stir. Put a lid on the pan and bring all this fabulousness to a strong simmer. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until the veggies are tender, gently stirring occasionally. Add in the remaining ingredients and simmer another 5 minutes. Serve over rice if you wish.

4 Comments:

Blogger jin said...

That looks AWESOME!
I will for sure be trying out the recipe!!!
Nice blog, too...I saw your comment at Vegan Lunchbox.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Jin--Thanks for checking out my blog and for the much-appreciated positive feedback.

8:23 AM  
Blogger SNK said...

Mmmm...want to make dinner for me tonight Roxy?
By the way, are you single?
Who's this Rutiger?
Did I mention I'm a vegetarian?

12:09 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Oh kenny, you're so cute. I think if I made dinner for you I would be violating the monogamous dinner thing Rudiger and I have going. In other words, no, I am not single. Ha ha. Don't you fret...

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home