Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Teasecake"

Most vegan cheesecake recipes I've tried all use tofu as the base or substitute for dairy cream cheese. So when I came across this recipe for "Lemon Teasecake" from the great book Raising Vegetarian Children by Jo Stepanaik and Vesanto Melina, I just had to try it! So if it's not made with soy, what is it made of? Cooked millet. Yes, that's right. Creamy, nutritous, and delicous millet makes this cheesecake-esque pie yummy times two! Cashews, lemon juice, maple syrup and a walnut-oat-cinnamon crust are some of the other components in this easy-to-make dessert gem. It is also ideal for summertime, because besides baking the crust for 10 minutes, there is no other baking involved, which means the kitchen stays cool! You could also do a variation of this and make a key lime pie version by using lime juice instead of lemon and adding some lime zest.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Can you post the exact recipe? I can't get a hold of that book at my library and I would LOVE to make this! Rock on, Roxy!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

I would be happy to give you the recipe. Due to copyright laws, etc. would it be ok if I e-mailed it to you? If you want, just drop me an e-mail and I'll reply and get it to you that way.

3:58 PM  
Blogger SNK said...

I missed out on this one. Doh!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home