Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sweet and Hot Walnuts

I can't believe Christmas is a little over a week away! Something I love to do for Christmas is make a huge batch of treats to give as gifts to family and friends. So, for the next week or so, I will share my favorite recipes for things like cookies and fudge so that you, too, can share healthy vegan holiday treats with those you love.
I invented this Sweet and Hot Walnuts recipe as something to spice up my holiday gift basket. I promise, you will quickly become addicted to this sweet and spicy treat! Walnuts are the perfect nut to use for this-- all the crevices hold the spicy sugar mixture beautifully!
Ingredients: (you can expand this recipe to make as much as you need)
* 2 cups raw walnuts
* 1/4 cup sucanat
* 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
* 2 tablespoons canola oil, safflower oil or melted non-hydrogenated margarine
* 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Lay the walnuts in a single layer on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Heat the oven to 300 degrees F and toast the nuts just until they begin to turn golden, about 4-5 minutes. Remove them from the oven. In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together then add the toasted nuts. Mix well. Return this mixture to the baking sheet and bake about 6-7 minutes, until you can smell the sugar and cinnamon. Keep a close eye on them, as they will burn quickly and easily. Cool before eating.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikk said...

This is a great recipe! Thanks!

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home