Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Best Tofu-Egg Salad

My local natural foods store makes the most delicious eggless tofu salad, but it's usually pretty expensive. So, I created a recipe that is almost identical and just as tasty. I love this salad for lunch--its filling and full of protein. What I like to do is make it the night before and let it sit in the fridge until I'm ready for lunch the next day. Not only does the flavor intensify, but so does the natural yellow color as the turmeric and paprika saturate the tofu.
Ingredients:
* 1 block of firm tofu, drained, blotted dry, and cut into cubes
* 1/4 cup lemon-tahini dressing (from my "Fruits, Veggies, and Dips, Oh My!" post), or soy mayo
* 1 or 2 green onions, chopped small
* 1 small garilc clove, finely chopped, optional
* 1 small carrot, finely diced (optional, but adds extra nutrition)
* 1 or 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
* pinch of salt, or to taste
* black pepper, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
* dash cayenne pepper
* a few pinches dried dill weed
Begin by mashing the tofu cubes with a fork or potato masher, leaving some small chunks. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix very well. Serve stuffed in a pita pocket with lettuce or spinach, tomato, cucumber, etc, with whole grain crackers, on whole grain bread, or on a bed of fresh greens.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love eggless tofu too. I've never used tahini in it...I bet it's a great nutty flavoured addition.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home