Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Super Sunny Granola

I have been trying to make my own granola probably ever since I got into healthy eating. Needless to say, I never really had any luck. Bland, super-dry, and "cardboard" are all words that come to mind when I think of all my homemade granola ventures. I had all but given up and pretty much accepted the high price tag of good-quality granola until yesterday, when I decided to give it another go. So here it is, The Best Homemade Granola That Ever Was (AKA Super Sunny Granola):
Ingredients:
* 1 cup barley flakes or additional rolled oats
* 2 cups rolled oats (do not use quick oats)
* 1 cup wheat germ
* 1/2 cup oat bran
* 1 cup sunflower seeds
* pinch of salt
* 1/2 teaspoon each: ground cinnamon and dried ground ginger
* 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered soymilk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 cup (or less) raisins or other dried fruit (optional)

Mix together the barley flakes, oats, wheat germ, oat bran, sun seeds and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together the maple syrup, spices, powdered soymilk, vanilla and canola oil. Pour this mixture over the oat mixture and stir it up well.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and divide the granola mixture evenly between them. Spread out the granola in an even layer. Bake at 285 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Bake until the granola is dry and light golden brown. Let cool completely before tossing in the fruit and storing in an airtight container. Makes about 7 cups.

Note: Barley flakes resemble rolled oats--do not use a dry barley cereal resembling Wheaties. You can find barley flakes in the bulk section of natural foods stores.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Roxy,
I love your site. I am also a 20-something vegan who is also trying to get a degree in food and nutrition.
I have a question regarding the supper sunny granola recipe, the 1/4 cup plus 2TBsp powdered soymilk, do I use the dry powder itself or do I need to mix it with water first. I was not sure, so please help thanks.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home