Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jerk Tofu, Mon!

Rutiger recently mentioned wanting jerk tofu. I, never having had anything jerk before (well, maybe all my ex-boyfriends), became intrigued and started searching for a recipe. I found a very good one at Post Punk Kitchen.

Here are the changes I made to the recipe:
* 2 cloves garlic instead of 4
* juice and zest of 1 lime instead of juice of 2 limes and zest of 1 lime
* 2 1/2 tablespoons sucanat plus 2 tablespoons water instead of maple syrup
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme instead of 1 tablespoon
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne instead of 1/2 teaspoon
* 1/2 jalapeno instead of 2 (use 2 if you like it really hot!)

The recipe also says to marinade for 1 hour, I marinade mine for over 24 hours. I don't think just an hour marinade is enough to get enough of the flavors into the tofu. I also baked the tofu (375 degrees) instead of pan-frying. One more thing, I spread a little of the marinade on top of each piece of tofu before baking--it created a nice little crust.

I was very pleased with the results. All the flavors really melted together into one rich, robust taste. I wish I had some papaya to serve alongside this, but instead I made my pecan wild rice (see previous post) and a simple spinach salad. I will definitely be making jerk tofu again!

1 Comments:

Blogger SNK said...

wanna eat this jerk tofu?
I think you do, mon.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home