Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ina's Crunchy Noodle Salad

If you recall back to my "Ina Turns to the Dark Side" post a few months ago, you will remember that Ina Garten (a FoodNetwork chef) doesn't make hardly any vegan food on her show, The Barefoot Contessa, but when she does, I make the recipe and it's always fantastic.

So, upon watching a recent episode, I just HAD to make the Crunchy Noodle Salad she had prepared. Peanut butter and noodles...what could be better than that? To make my life easier, I made the dish as a quick make-ahead dinner that I could just pop out of the fridge and eat. It turned out amazingly good! What I did was make the dressing in the full amount (I didn't cut it in half or anything), stored it in a jar, so I could toss it with single-portions of noodles and veggies whenever I want an easy meal.

I did make a few slight changes to the recipe. First, 1/3 cup of soy sauce seemed a bit much, so I cut it back by about 2 tablespoons. I omitted the salt and pepper in the recipe (salt AND soy sauce...yikes!) I used maple syrup instead of honey, and canola oil instead of the ambigious "vegetable oil." Of course, I used whole grain noodles also.

Make this! Also, as the name would suggest, the actual noodles of the salad are not crunchy, it is the veggies that are crunchy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

Another vegan blog that I have only visited for the first time...how is that possible!? I am really enjoying the reads on your blog! May I add you to my bloglines and visit often?

I'm over at: http://harmonia.bloggoing.com incase you want to swing by!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thank you Harmonia! I will definitely check out your blog!

2:02 PM  
Blogger scottishvegan said...

That's such a good idea to make the full recipe for the dressing and store it. I am always dividing recipes because there are only two of us and it can be a pain.

5:31 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

That salad sounds so good. I agree with you about Ina- I saw an episode once where she actually went to a farm and selected a chicken. In the next scene, the farmer was handing her the formerly live chicken, now wrapped up all pretty, which she then proceeded to cook with massive amounts of ... whatever she uses! Cream, butter, bacon, some combination of all three. =) Can you tell I don't like Ina Garten?

By the way, this is my first time commenting on your blog, but I've been reading for a while and your recipes always look really delicious.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thank you Bazu for commenting! Yes, I saw that episode too. Let's just say the channel got changed very quickly!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home