Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Unexplored Territory

I took an idea from Tommie over at It's Awesome To Be Rawsome and decided to post about new fruits that I have tried recently. Since exploring the raw way of life, I have developed a new appreciation for fruits and veggies. I now look at them for what they are--little gems to be eaten as they are--rather than thinking, "how can I cook this?"
The first picture is of kumquats. These fun little fruits are like very small oranges. Instead of peeling them like an orange, they are meant to be eaten whole. The juice is sour like a lemon and the flesh and skin is sweet. When you pop the whole thing in your mouth and bite down, the first taste to hit your tongue is the sour juice, and the sweetness follows as you chew the little fruit up. To me, these are the perfect snack: bite-size, portable, and fun to eat. If you can get your hands on some kumquats, choose larger ones (the smaller ones tend to be more sour) and organic (because you are eating the whole fruit, skin and all).


When I saw these unusual-looking mangoes at the natural foods store on my most recent trip, I just had to try one. They are called Ataulfo Mangoes and are very, very tasty. To me, the flavor was very citrus-y; bright and clean with a hint of lemon and tangerine on top of the mango taste. The texture was smooth, creamy and buttery, without the fibrus strings you sometimes get with regualr mangoes. It will melt in your mouth! These mangoes are smaller than the regular mango with a smooth yellow skin (as you can see in the picture.)

Photo Credits:






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home