Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Week on (Mostly) Raw Foods

It's been about a week since I started doing the raw food thing. Well, actually, I never really consciously decided this was the week I was going raw. It just happened. Last weekend I spent about $65 at the natural food store on fresh fruits and veggies, raw nuts and seeds, dried fruit and some miscellaneous things like bottled juice (which isn't raw because it's been pastuerized), agave nectar and vanilla extract. This shopping trip wasn't completely out of the ordinary, the only difference was that I didn't buy my usual flour, bread and sucanat, and I really stocked up on raw nuts and dried fruit.

All this week I've been on a smoothie and salad kick too. For breakfast I've been having All That Raz Smoothies (my own creation--see recipe below--I know the name is cheeky but I think it's clever for someone who rarely is clever) and for lunch I make myself a HUGE salad filled with nice green lettuce, kale, radish micro greens, raisins, broccoli, shredded carrot and fresh parsley, topped off with Annies Naturals Goddess Dressing. I cannot say how amazingly good this dressing is! Yeah it's kinda high in fat and sodium, but there is no added sugar and it is all natural with no fillers--plus it makes eating 2-3 servings of veggies at a time really fun and delicious.

It might sound weird, but I've been dreaming about raw foods almost every night for the last 2 weeks. I've dreamt that I was at a raw foods seminar, that I bought a dehydrator, I've dreamt about shopping for raw food and I've even dreamt about raw foods books and getting my family to go raw--very weird indeed. I guess the only thing I can do is take this as a sign that this is the right thing for me.

As much as I haven't been missing cooked foods, I still feel a little sad looking at all my cookbooks that I used to love so much just sitting on my bookshelf.
All That Raz Smoothie
* 3/4 ripe banana (use the whole thing if you like it really thick, or just pop the remaining 1/4 in your mouth)
* 1/3 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (preferably organic)
* 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
* 1 1/2 cups orange or orange-mango juice
Blend everything until smooth.

PS: I'm in the process of getting my digital camera fixed, so I will be posting pictures again--yay!

3 Comments:

Blogger bazu said...

That smoothie sounds great, as does the salad. I think it's cool that you're dreaming about raw foods- it might mean that there's something your mind or body really finds gratifying in them! I know I've been craving fruits and salads like crazy, and that's just my way of knowing I'm ready for Spring!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Hi Draiodoirmna! Here's the recipe for the Teasecake, hope you like it!
For The Crust:
* 1 cup rolled oats
* 1/2 cup whole grain flour
* 1/2 cup ground walnuts
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* pinch of salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 3 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1/4 cup safflower or canola oil
To make the crust, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well. In a seperate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, stir well, then mix into the dry ingredients. Press this mixture into a pie plate and bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.

For the Filling:
* 1/2 cup uncooked millet
* 2 cups water
* 1/2 cup raw cashews
* 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (zest the lemons before juicing)
* 1/3 cup maple syrup
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 1 tablespoon lemon zest
In a saucepan, combine the water and millet and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 50 min. While millet is cooking, combine the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. When the millet is done, add it to the blender with the cashew mixture and blend again until smooth. Pour the filling into the baked crust, let sit at room temp for 1 hr, then refirigerate for 4 hours until chilled. Enjoy!

3:46 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

i make this type of smoothie a lot and love it. enjoy raw fooding.

i am loving it in brazil. here part of the year, enjoying it's beautiful weather and fruits.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home