Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Goji -Berry Smoothie

Goji berries are a great source of antioxidants, they have anti-cancer properties, are a good source of protein, and contain the highest amount of caretenoids known. Goji berries also have lots of vitamin C, B vitamins, Vitamin E (which is rarely found in fruit), and selenium.

I was thrilled when I saw these tiny superfood berries in the bulk section at my natural foods store co-op. They are quite expensive, about $16 a pound! When I want to treat myself, I get a little bag of them (some people buy donuts or candy as a treat--I buy expensive heath food!) If you can't find them in a store near you, they can be easily ordered online. Just do a Google search and you'll find at least 5-6 websites that sell them.

If you've never tasted a goji berry, they taste quite earthy, slightly bitter and are not very sweet at all. To make them more palatable, I like blending goji berries in a smoothie. Soaking them helps soften them so they blend into the smoothie better.

Goji -Berry Smoothie
Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoons goji berries
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
* 6 fresh strawberries, sliced
* 1/2 ripe banana (add the whole thing if you like a real thick smoothie)
* 1 to 1 1/2 cups pomegranate, cranberry or cherry juice
Combine the goji berries and water in a small bowl and let soak 10-15 minutes, until they have plumped up, then blend all ingredients (including the soak water) until smooth. Enjoy!



Informational source: http://www.freemotion.com.au/goji_information.htm

8 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

Wow, sounds like a fruit i need to look into... thanks for this informative post and a good recipe to try these costly-but-worth-it berries!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Hey, I do that too! I love treating myself to a healthy treat. Actually I got really into the Alba organics skin care line as a way to treat myself. I love their sea salt bath.

6:09 PM  
Blogger mommamu said...

I just found your blog-I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE it!!!! I will be popping by much more often now. I am in the process of trying to get me and my family's diet where it needs to be and your blog is such a help-thank you thank you!

4:30 PM  
Blogger urban vegan said...

I never tried these. What am I waiting for?!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thanks mommamu! I hope by blog proves helpful to you and your family!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Goji Juice said...

I love only Goji -Berry Smoothie with strawberry. It is very taste because it is hard for me to eat only goji berry Smoothie.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can not wait to try the smoothie am making it to morrow...hmmm..hope it is good

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.for my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet began to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr God hands whom god has bleesed with ancestral herbs gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... so i make a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have being watching my health for 6 years now and I actually comfirmed that his herbal medicines are permamnent cure and I'm so happy that i came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr God hands Email: doctorgodhands@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2349057214220. if you gone through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because really honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home