Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Coconut Cupcakes


For her birthday celebration, my sister made a special request for coconut cupcakes. Yum! Right on sista! (That's me in the photo, by the way). So I looked all over the world-wide-interweb for a recipe. I came across this one (scroll down to "vegan birthday cupcakes") and decided to give it a go. They turned out perfectly! Just the right amount of coconut flavor, and not too tooth-shatteringly sweet (that's what the frosting is for)--although they are very rich, with the coconut milk and canola oil. The only thing I adjusted was the amount of dried coconut. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but I used more like 1/3 cup. Don't ask why, I just felt 1/2 cup might have been a little too much.

I basically followed her guidelines for the frosting too. Use 1/3 cup Earth Balance, beaten with an electric hand mixer, and gradually add in about 3-4 cups of powdered sugar and a few tablespoons of coconut milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I wanted to make a trip to the natural foods store today to pick up some beet powder to naturally color some dried coconut to decorate the tops of these luscious cupcakes (this would have been purely experimental), but it didn't happen...maybe next time.

But what DID happen today is I got my camera!! As you can see above, it takes great pictures and I love it! Sony Cybershot all the way.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those do look great. congrats on the camera...mine just died:-(

6:52 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

I'm glad your move went well. Those cupcakes look and sound great (you are right- your sister made a great choice). And you look cute in that picture- hurrah for cameras!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thanks Bazu!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Roxy.. Thanks for the recipe.. I just happened upon your site from Vegan Momma's site... (http://veganmomma.com/blog/) and I'm looking for cupcakes for my babies' first birthdays coming up. I was disappointed w/ the last frosting I tried.. I'm anxious to try these! I happen to be in Madison as well. Good luck on your degree in Nutrition. :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Thank you Laura! Yes, do try this recipe--it's awesome! Madison represent!

9:01 AM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

glad you liked the recipe! it's totally one of my favorites.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home