Today while I got my hair colored, I purused Teany by Moby and Kelly and the key lime pie recipe (in the "petit fours" chapter) caught my attention. So, while I was at Trader Joes (which I am in love with, by the way), I picked up the ingredients I would need to make this tempting recipe. Well, as is were, Trader Joes does not have the biggest nor the best selection of products (mind you, they do have some pretty cool stuff), so the "vegan vanilla pudding mix" needed for the key lime pies (which I can only assume is the Mori Nu Mates brand) was no where to be found. This component of the recipe serves many functions: A.) sweetener B.) thickener C.) vanilla flavoring. So, I had to change the recipe. Here's my version:
Ingredients (makes 12 adorable mini pies):
for the crust:
* 1 1/2 cups natural gharam cracker crumbs
* 2 tablespoons melted earth balance margarine
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
* 1 (8 oz) container Tofutti Cream Cheese
* aprox. 1/2 of a 1-lb. block of soft water-packed tofu, drained and well-blotted
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 tablespoon lime zest
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons key lime juice (this is about 10 key limes--you can also buy the juice bottled, but I doubt it would taste as fresh)
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
* thinly sliced key limes as garnish (optional but really, really cute!) or extra lime zest
Line a regular sized 12-cup muffin pan with 12 paper cupcake liners. Mix together the cracker crumbs and margarine then spoon about a tablespoon of this crust mixture into each muffin liner.
In a food processor, combine all filling ingredients and pulse until smooth. The mixture will be quite loose, but don't panic. Fill each crustified muffin cup with about 3-4 tablespoons of the filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. When you jiggle the pan, the centers should be springy while the outter edge is firm. Let cool completely and the centers will become firm. Top with a slice of lime and enjoy! Warning: don't fool yourself into thinking that you will eat just one of these.