Nutrition Ambition

Welcome to my vegan food blog! When it comes to food, my philosophy is that taking time to lovingly prepare your own meals can result in better health and greater life satisfaction. I use natural, whole ingredients to create nourishing, exciting meals which replenish mind, body and spirit. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Curried Tempeh with Sweet Potato and Dried Mango

Last night I so needed to clean out the fridge of some overabundant produce, so I put on my thinking cap. I had a little pouch of Lemon Curry Powder that smelled too irresistible to pass up. A peek in the pantry revealed some ButterCream potatoes, a sweet potato, and a can of coconut milk. I also spied some Chile Spiced Dried Mango I picked up when last I was at Trader Joes. In addition, I thought a little lime would be delicious squeezed over all this spicy-sweet madness. The potatoes, while usually cooked inside the curry, I thought would be good pan-fried and served more or less alongside. Check it out; it's several ingredients and a few steps, but worth it. The myriad textures and flavors is sure to be delightful. By the way, it was entirely too hot last night to be spending this much time in front of the stove, but it was worth it!

Ingredients:
* about 10 golf ball-size thin-skinned potatoes (washed and cut in half), or fingerling potatoes
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
* 2 large carrots, cut into small chunks
* 1 package tempeh
* 1 additional tablespoon olive oil
* 1 generous teaspoon lemon curry powder (or regular curry powder)
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* cayenne pepper, to taste
* 2 teaspoons Braggs
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
* 1/2 cup water (or as needed)
* Diced dried mango and lime sections

Begin by placing the potatoes in a pot of cold salted water and bring to a simmer. Let cook about 10 minutes, or just until fork-tender. Drain. Heat a medium size saute pan and add the first tablespoon of oil. When hot, put in the potatoes cut side down and pan fry until golden, then flip and cook another minute. Remove the potatoes and set aside.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and crumble the tempeh into the pan. Cook until nicely golden then add the garlic. Stir in the spices followed by the braggs, carrot, sweet potato and coconut milk. Place the lid on the pan and simmer until the sweet potato and carrot are tender, about 15-20 minutes. When ready to serve, top with the mango, a few lime wedges and pile on those potatoes!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Hello, I was just browsing through your blog and I love it! Just curious, what exactly is holistic nutrition? Is it like being a nutritionist? Because that's what I am planning on doing later in life.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Matt and Bobbie said...

Hi Healthnut!
Yes, holistic nutrition is basically nutrition with a mind/body/spirit focus. how food effects how we feel and how good nutrition and other healthy behaviors and thoughts can influence our wellbeing. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits! Thanks for commenting.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great blog you have ,im reading your past post!

7:03 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

This dish sounds so yummy, and so different. I never would have thought to use the dried mangoes!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home